Tuesday, August 24, 2010

PHILIPPINES IS STILL MAJOR MAJOR PROUD OF YOU, VENUS RAJ!


Yeah, our Bicolana bet could have nailed it after she has successfully made it to the top 5 finalists in the Miss Universe 2010 which was held in Las Vegas, Nevada on August 24, 2010. That was until the Q & A portion.

William Baldwin: What is one big mistake you made in ur life and what did you do to make it right?
Venus Raj: In my 22 years of existence, there is no major, major problem that I have done in my life because I am very confident with my family and the love they give to me. Thank you so much that I am here. Thank you so much.

I was like, "Huh?, That was it?". I then got up from my seat and walked away from the television set and resumed working. I knew from that moment on she has lost it. Just one more hurdle and she lost it.

Inspite of it all, I'm still proud of our Pinay. Nobody has made it this far since Miriam Quiambao bagged the Ms. Universe 1999 1st runner up title. From the ricefields in Bicol, Venus Raj made it all the way to the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas. Not to mention the adversities she has to go through to fight for her crown. She was stripped off her crown a month after winning due to her questionable birth records. However, BPCI took back their decision and gave her back the crown if she can present them her passport and for humanitarian reasons. This Pinay went through a lot and she faced them head on. That alone is a tough act to follow.

Scrutinies were expected after she ended up being a 4th runner up. And the first ones who cast the first stone were her fellowmen. I would be a hypocrite if I won't admit I was disappointed. Every Filipino was rooting for her to win after the hostage incident yesterday. Every Filipino wants her to redeem our reputation. That we are a country of beauty and brain, too and we are not a country full of rogue cops and incompetent SWAT team.

My former colleague even commented we should have sent Manny Pacquiao to the Ms. Universe pageant. He always beat the Mexicans, he always does.

Venus Raj did her best and it was evident right from the start of the pageant. She couldn't have done a better job. She gave us something to be proud of to say the least. Blame it on her nerves, the pressure or blame it on Melay. She has influenced Venus Raj on her "Over, over" phrase that she has to say "Major" succeedingly in her answer.

Just kidding. Peace, Melay.


No comments: