Friday, June 10, 2011

DUMAGUETE CITY: THE CITY OF GENTLE PEOPLE

I was here!!!



Silliman University




Dumaguete Belfry




Rizal Boulevard




Marysol, age 6, my newfound friend in Dumaguete City




Dumaguete truly lives up to its name, The City of Gentle People. I was alone for the whole day taking photographs and never did I feel intimidated for a second in my life compared to traveling to other cities in the Philippines.

Every person I met are truly friendly and you would always get that warm welcome smile wherever you go.

This city is pretty laid back. Though we only stayed for two days, Dumaguete made a mark in my life.

We were lucky enough to score a decent hotel just across the much famed Rizal Boulevard and I grabbed the opportunity to do my solo photo walk the entire afternoon.

While I was doing my solo photowalk, I didn't have to constantly look over my shoulder if someone might grab or snatch my camera off my neck. It's a refreshing experience to have the freedom to enjoy taking photos with no worry at all.

During my photowalk, a little girl caught my attention and I asked her if I could take a photo of her and she gladly obliged. Her name is Marysol and she became my first friend in this city. A little later on, a guy approached me and asked if I do photography for a living. He got curious since he saw me back and forth a couple of times taking photos of some people in Rizal Boulevard. The people in this city are just incredibly friendly.

On our second day, I asked Yab if he could accompany to some of the famous landmarks in Dumaguete. We spent the whole morning taking photos in Silliman and the Dumaguete belfry. Since we were cramped with time and we had to take the plane back to Manila after lunch, we had to call it a day.

They don't have supermalls in this city but this is what makes Dumaguete City a very special place. It's uncorrupted of superficial lifestyle and the laid back setting in this place is truly admirable.

I wished we could have stayed a couple of days more but I know this won't be my first and last visit to the City of Gentle People.




No comments: